Monday, February 21, 2011

Blogs Wane as the Young Drift to Sites Like Twitter - NYTimes.com

Blogs Wane as the Young Drift to Sites Like Twitter - NYTimes.com

Thought you would enjoy this. Blogging is on the decline? Well, depends how you look at it. This article addresses the very issues that our class will face when trying to talk about millennials. Terms that we use define certain mediums or generations, like blogging and millennials, tend to fluctuate with the times. Hopefully, the more we go through this class the more specific definitions we may get. I mean the most concrete definition of millennials right now is people born during 1982-2004. Right? I mean that doesn't really tell us that much, accept for a time period, which entails a common denominator of sharing historic events. Maybe to some that's enough.

This article addresses millennial attitudes towards blogging. Basically it says that blogging is shifting. With services like Facebook and Twitter that have made status updates a norm and keeping people posted on what you are interested in, blogs appear to be the article form of Internet communication. Making newspapers look like novels.

Side note, this brings me to my next thought. I think I'll start writing shorter blog posts...maybe this will attract more readers. Does more frequent blog post + shorter blogs + interesting topics = More dedicated followers...? To be determined

Maybe I'm wrong in the way interpreted what the author was saying...but as the new viral video of Charles Barkley says, "I may be wrong, but I doubt it" Haha

Let me know what you think about this NYTimes article.

2 comments:

  1. I find this very interesting! It is true that the millennial generation beats to the tune of "less is more." That being said.... I don't think that writing a ton of short entries is necessarily easier because it means that you have to be precise with your words in a sort of witty way so that readers react to what you've got to say. -Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like, at least for me, that blogging means something completely different now than perhaps it did in the past. I use my personal blog as a place I can put down random thoughts that are too public for a diary and too lengthy for Facebook or Twitter. I think that you sacrifice the number of people you could reach for more agency/freedom in regards to subject matter and "appropriateness". So perhaps, it's not a dying medium, but a shifting definition we're experiencing. -Santana

    ReplyDelete