Thursday, February 17, 2011

International Presence

Just checked my audience tab and saw a little foreign activity.

What's your perception of the millennial? Yeah, you in India! Obviously, this can't just be some American concept that is being used to define the new generation. How have and how are previous generations defining you or us? We are a collective after all and by far the most internationally connected generation thus far. Does this mean that our cultures will be merging? Will styles, trends, music, literature, and clothing become more universal? Will we learn more languages because of the growing internationally presence that we feel over the internet? Or will one become the clear front runner…which reminds me.

Recently, I had the great opportunity of traveling to Europe (specifically, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, and Germany for a month. I realized as an American that I was very one dimensional when it came to language. I mean, I took Spanish growing up but never mastered it, my own fault, to this day I try to get better at it, I swear this isn't product placement, hmmm, maybe it is, but Rosetta Stone is awesome and has helped tremendously. Anyway, to make a long story short, many people I interacted with were by far more conversational in English than I was in, Spanish, French, Italian, and German. The Germans impressed me the most. Everyone I met in Hamburg spoke great English!

The millennial is a generational term that extends throughout the world. I just wanted to take the opportunity to ask how and obviously if no internationals are reading this, then that stinks…but if anyone is reading this, let me know what you think!

Actually, I know that two people are reading this blog that come from abroad so…hey, let me know what you think. How has being a millennial defined you in your hometowns? What does the future hold for millennials being more internationally aware?

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to mention the international (or lack of) perspective of the Millennial label in my own blog and it was really great seeing you talk about it in your post. I'm a U.S. citizen but I've lived overseas for practically my entire life, and I definitely consider myself an international. I've been trying to decide whether naming generations overall is an American phenomenon or not. Or, as you say, is it really a "generational term that extends throughout the world." I'm beginning to think more and more that it's an idea that is American.

    In response to your first question, I never really knew about the millennial term before this class, and in general, the idea of generational characteristics hasn't really been defining in my life.

    However, the world is definitely starting to feel like a smaller place as we become more connected. Maybe this generation idea will catch on. But then again, maybe not. Based on the readings in class I feel like a lot of the characteristics given to the Millennials apply to only a small branch of our generation. If we try to expand it to fit the entire generation across the world, I think it'll become near impossible to find applicable descriptions.

    These are only my initial thoughts on the topic though. My ideas will probably change as time goes on. I'm interested to hear what other people think!

    ReplyDelete